Congratulations to our winner Vicki May!
This week we are bringing back What’s Cooking Wednesday to feature a recipe posted by Sara Groves for Tomato Pie!
Sara is an advocate for the International Justice Mission (IJM), and IJM is working to raise awareness about slavery on Tomato farms in the United States–specifically Florida and the Carolinas. If you want to learn more about this human rights issue, read this article.
We love it when artists are tied to a cause, and I can think of few causes more worthy than the issue of modern day slavery. So, if you love Sara Groves and you love tomatoes, you can make this recipe for Tomato Pie!
Sara Groves’ Tomato Pie
“I don’t know where [this recipe] originates from…but this is a favorite family recipe for Tomato Pie.” –Sara Groves
- 1 unbaked Pillsbury pie crust
- 1 ½ cup of shredded mozzarella, divided into half cups
- 4-5 ripe medium tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped basil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup of mayo
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Bake pie crust 10 min at 450 degrees.
- When crust is cooled, place ½ cup mozzarella cheese on bottom of pie crust.
- Place sliced tomatoes on top.
- Top with chopped garlic and basil.
- Mix mayo and Parmesan cheese together and spread (drop) on top of tomatoes, basil & garlic.
- Put 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake @ 375 degrees for 30-35 min.
Yummy! What is your favorite thing to eat with tomatoes? Comment with your answer for a chance to win “Freedom: Artists United for International Justice Mission” — a compilation record put together to benefit IJM and their stand for justice around the world!