Behind The Album “Blessings” With Laura Story

We had the incredible pleasure of getting to sit down with Laura Story to talk about the heart behind her new album “Blessings.” She explains the writing and recording process, as well as her experiences behind the powerful message conveyed in the songs. You don’t want to miss out on the encouragement she brings through her story. Watch it below, and then leave your comments for a chance to win the album before it hits stores on April 12th.

If you have yet to hear her song “Blessings,” go to iTunes or LauraStoryMusic.com to listen now!

What does it look like when I spend years praying for healing for my husband that never comes? I feel like we’ve gotten to a place of having to make a choice- are we going to judge God based on our circumstances that we don’t understand? Or are we going to chose to judge our circumstances based on what we hold to be true of God? I’m learning that every morning when I wake up, to choose to trust God. And that’s what “blessings” is about. It’s just consideringMAYBE THE BLESSING IS ACTUALLY FOUND IN THE ABSENCE OF THE THING THAT I’M PRAYING FOR.

-Laura Story

Don’t forget about our $5.00 deal on Laura Story’s previous album, “Great God Who Saves!” Click here to preview the album and download your copy now!

35 Responses

• Ty4Him wrote on March 18, 2011

This song and the story behind the song is so amazing. What an awesome reminder that even when things are not going as we expected God is still in control and it is all a part of his plan.

• cthomas wrote on March 18, 2011

Wonderful!! Her music is so inspiring. "Blessings" had helped me through a rough week and reminds me that God is in control.

• Connie Perrone wrote on March 18, 2011

MAYBE THE BLESSING IS ACTUALLY FOUND IN THE ABSENCE OF THE THING THAT I’M PRAYING FOR --- what a powerful statement --- a friend upset me once because she told her little girl that God doesn't answer every prayer --- the seven year old girl had been praying for God to make her pastor baptize her but the pastor didn't want to because he thought she was too young to understand what being saved was --- so her mom told her God just wasn't answering her prayer --- i told my friend that God answers EVERY prayer and works all things to the good of those who love Him and that His answers are either yes, no, wait, or I have something better in mind!

• LCrocker wrote on March 19, 2011

I love your music. This song has such an awesome message. I have a good friend who just last her 2 yr old to brain cancer in December, I am really trying to minister to her and hope this song will say the words I can't.

• brettcurry wrote on March 19, 2011

Great words. With everything surrounding us each and every day, we need to be reminded how God is in control and that even though it doesn't look like it, it is still His plan!

• Carrie Edwards wrote on March 19, 2011

I heard this song for the first time yesterday. It is like a testimony of my life. God has done some incredible healing in my life, but I know I will never be completely healed until I meet Him face to face.

• Corey wrote on March 19, 2011

Had the privilege of seeing Laura in concert in Birmingham last year. With the exception of "Mighty to Save," it was my first real introduction to her music. It was an absolutely wonderful experience, and I can't wait to hear what she has in store with the new album!

• griderjunk wrote on March 19, 2011

Wow - beautiful & so true. My husband also had cancer 2 years ago & we feel like God blessed us over & over again through that whole situation. It wasn't what we would have chosen either, but it was awesome to see how He took care of us through it all. Thanks Laura for your powerful words.

• myrthman wrote on March 19, 2011

I have not yet heard "Blessings" but I've enjoyed other songs Laura has done. Thanks for sharing the story on this one, Laura! God bless! Sean

• Creatha wrote on March 22, 2011

WOW! I lost my mother to cancer several years ago and God blessed our family through the rain. Because of my mother's death, my own daughter prayed and asked God to save her - we truly experienced blessings in the rain. Thank you Laura for your ministery through music - I can't wait to hear you new CD.

• Jacob wrote on April 7, 2011

I love "Blessings" not only has it put words to so much of my emotions, but it ministered to my sister when she was really hurting. A beautiful song.

• bluenichols wrote on April 7, 2011

I love hearing about the story behind why songs were written it just gives them so much more meaning. I cant wait to hear the whole album.

• Ann Dunlap wrote on April 7, 2011

I heard the song Blessings on the radio, and was astounded! A week or so before I heard the song, I had been asked to speak at a women's event at our church. The theme of the event is "interruptions", something I have been quite familiar with over the past 20 years or so: cancer, miscarriages, infertility, adoption, loss of parents, spouse's depression and financial difficulties, just to name a few! Your song could not have been more appropriate to go along with the message that I've been preparing! A friend will be singing it after I speak at the event. During the song, the women will be invited to add to a rock pile that I will be constructing throughout my message. I pray that it will be a poignant and meaningful time for the ladies! Thank you for your beautiful song and for your transparency in sharing the story behind it!

• Marla Stanley wrote on April 7, 2011

My family has gone through a good bit of turmoil over the last few years, and to see my Dad favorite this song to share with us meant the world to me...showed such growth and healing that we are finding in the Lord. Can't wait to hear more!

• Crystal West wrote on April 7, 2011

I just heard Blessings for the first time a couple of days ago. I was at work and it came on the radio. WOW!! That's all I can say! As I listened to the words I just began to weep! Thank you for blessing us with such an amazing song!

• gbutterfly26 wrote on April 7, 2011

This song has such a great message! It has really touched me after going through many trials in my own life. I am anxious to hear the entire album!

• tpkinder wrote on April 7, 2011

Laura Story is such a talented person. I love Blessings! The song is my introduction to Laura's talents (or so I thought!) Now I find out she has written some of my favorite songs!

• eeyora22 wrote on April 8, 2011

Love Love Love this song!

• saltvillechuck87 wrote on April 8, 2011

I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it and I bought it on itunes. About three weeks ago I became pastor of my church. The following saturday a dear friend of mine lost one of his boys in a car accident. He and his wife asked me to preach Brandon's funeral. I had known Brandon all his life and it was very hard for me to even respond, but I accepted. The Lord really helped me through the service, Brandon was only 20 years old, and there was alot of young people in attendance. I shared a story from our past and read Isaiah 57:1 NLT, but the song "Blessings" had been ministering to me all through this and at the end of my sermon I was able to share with all who attended, "Sometimes hidden in the middle of life's greatest tragedies are God's greatest mercies" Thank You Laura for your ministry, May God Continue to Bless You!

• lacrocker wrote on April 8, 2011

This song has such meaning for me. My husband and I were missionaries in Mongolia with our family of 5 children, for 5 years and had to return to the States because of my health. The return was very sudden and unplanned, and we have basically had to start life over, leaving everything in Mongolia. This has been such a difficult adjustment. My husband, still with a true missionary heart, was not ready to leave that mission field, but has found a new mission field here with Mongolians in the States. Thank You so much for sharing the message of this song and that sometime the painful things are God's will too.

• Cathy wrote on April 8, 2011

Such a beautiful message about how good and sovereign our great God is!

• Jennifer wrote on April 19, 2011

Wow! I heard this song for the first time yesterday and it really spoke to me. My family has experienced and unusual amount of tragedy recently: the loss of my unborn baby late in pregnancy, severe complications in another pregnancy, the death of my grandmother, and the deteriorating health of my only sibling/sister who recently died from cancer. This last was the most difficult. Its only been a few months and I miss her so much but this song was a blessing to me. Thank you.

• Betty wrote on April 20, 2011

On April 15,2011 my daughter and her husband lost their precious baby. She was delivered Stillborn. Two days later they heard this song and it was played at our Granddaughter's memorial service Monday evening. This song is a blessing and comfort to all of us. Thank you Laura for writing and sharing this song. I know it was part of God's perfect plan that we would hear the song when we did.

• Behind the Song Sundays; Laura Story shares about “Prodigal Song.” | FreeCCM wrote on June 19, 2011

[...] you want to see more from Laura Story, check out this album interview and post your comments about the blessings in your life here. The contest is over but we would [...]

• Barbara and Sarah Lynn wrote on July 18, 2011

Last Wednesday my mom (Barbara) had brain surgery. She went into the surgery knowing that there was a risk that she might die or never wake up again. She made it through surgery with only minor deficits (like poor balance, vision problems, and speech problems) but the outcome was so much better than we could have hoped. She truly made it through by the grace of God and we feel very blessed by it (she has had 3 prior brain and spinal cord surgeries). But she has told me and my siblings all of our lives that her tumors were a blessing because she out of all of her siblings was the best suited for dealing with them and the disease causing them is genetic (none of her siblings have the tumors though). We came across this song this morning because I put out a request on facebook for songs to sing or play for her while she is laying in bed recovering and this was the third suggestion and it was so appropriate. She wanted me to tell everyone that God answers all of our prayers but that we are like little children that don't always like the answers. We still have to act on his answers though and trust in God's endless love for us.

• Mary Lynn wrote on July 20, 2011

When I first heard this song, "Blessings" on my way to work, I thought of a friend of mine who is dealing with her husband's illness and the uncertianty of his outcome. I felt the weight she bears expressed through Laura's song... and yet I also experienced the greatest encouragement... of trust in the Lord, of faithfulness in prayer, of the confidence in is sovreignty and His will... and I was blessed! Thank you, Laura.

• TimC wrote on July 30, 2011

Thank you, well I guess actually thanks to God, for "Blessings" and redefining, as you put it, of the term Blessings. I've set "Blessings" to play on my alarm every morning and I usually cry all the way through. I always thought I trusted God, but now it's really getting real. Business crashed at the beginning of 2009, then I had a 5 month health mystery, during which my wife said she was divorcing me, leaving me with child support payments and without a place to live (other than with some kind friends), then a repeat on the 5 month health mystery. It's not normally a blessing to be stripped of everything at age 60, but what if it takes a 1000 sleepless night to know that God is there? It truly is a far greater blessing to know that God is there than to go through life with with all your needs being met and not really knowing God. And what if your needs aren't being met? I have medical bills that have been sent to collections where they add more interest than I can keep up with. Will God provide? I don't know. Am I blessed? Absolutely! I'm learning to draw near to God and I see that He is there drawing near to me.

• Contest: Looking back on 2011 | FreeCCM wrote on January 13, 2012

[...] BEHIND THE ALBUM “BLESSINGS” WITH LAURA STORY [...]

• Rob wrote on March 14, 2012

Your perspective that we are blessed for not getting what we are praying for is something that i did not think of. I have a son that died of cancer at the age of 3.5 in 2008 and we prayed... prayed more than i have ever, needless to say he died. I felt alot of anger, the anger turned to dissappointment and now its just confusion. I heard your song and it made alot of sense to me, about still trying to figure things out, but I do agree that when your back is to the wall and you have nothing else, there is an intimacy that you get with God that you have never experienced. I still would rather have my son back, but your song is beautiful....

• freeccmchandler wrote on March 15, 2012

Thanks for your great comment! Praying for you as you continue to ask the hard questions and find healing!

• CB13JB wrote on May 25, 2012

It is wonderful that strength, wisdom, & blessings can come out of a story of tragedy.

• mj wrote on July 5, 2012

If I heard this song I feel free out of my past life.It can inspire me. Thank you Ms. laura for sharing ur true to life story.

• Martha wrote on January 18, 2013

During a traumatic time in my life, I listened to this song over and over. The depth of God's love that we experience in difficult times is amazing and life sustaining. This song spoke not only to my heart, but to my soul. Thank you Laura, for blessing my life with hope.

• Rahn wrote on July 10, 2013

Absolutely love this song and love it more after hearing reason behind it.

• Penny Vander Pol wrote on July 19, 2013

The Song Blessing has become a blessing to me and my family. You see My Mom just went to heaven after having Panciatic cancer . But God gave her no pain she went peaceful in her home with family around her she went very quick from putting her Garden in to being with our Lord and savior. So when we heard this song it meant so much. Our blessings right now are coming through tears. So thank you for shareing your trails through song. And know that this is one of the blessings coming because of your trails. I just heard your story and had to write to you before we go bury my mom. May God BLESS you and may you know it.